An important component of emergency preparedness is building a comprehensive emergency preparedness kit. If you want, you can use this emergency preparedness kit checklist as a start to your kit:
- Water (minimum 3 day supply for evacuations, two week supply for home) washing and drinking)
- Non-Perishable Foods (minimum 3 day supply for evacuations, 2 week supply for home)
- Assorted Battery Pack (purchase the pack that provides a variety of battery sizes so that you're prepared no matter the need)
- Multipurpose Tool
- First Aid Kit
- Medications (at least 7 day supply)
- Battery Powered or Hand Crank radio (NOAA Weather Radio if possible)
- Extra Clothing
- Sanitation and Personal Hygiene Items
- Cell Phone With Chargers
- Family and Emergency Contact information
- Extra Cash
- Emergency Blanket
- Map(s) of the Area
- Household Liquid Bleach. Check this out, you can use Clorox Bleac to creat drinkable water... I know crazy right, but here is how you do it:
- Disinfecting Surfaces: Use 1/4 Cup Bleach to 1 gallon of water, or as directed on the label, to disinfect hard, non-porous surfaces in your home.
- Disinfecting Water: If you need to purify water in an emergency, (and do not have the means to boil it for 3-5 minutes), you may disinfect your water using bleach. If water is clear, add 8 drops (1/8 tsp.) of bleach per gallon of water. If water is cloudy, add 16 drops (1/4 tsp.) of bleach per gallon of water. Mix the solution thoroughly and let it stand for for about 30 minutes before using. Properly treated water should have a slight chlorine odor. If it doesn't, repeat dosage and allow water to stand an additional 15 minutes. The treated water can be made drinkable by pouring it between containers several times.
- Copies of important documents - in case of emergency, you'll need copies of birth records, household lease or deed, medications list, passports, and insurance policies....
- Check out your local home supply store. Many of them sell pre-assembled emergency preparedness supplies that provide a great foundation for the full kit you will need to build.
- When disaster strikes, you could be anywhere, so make sure you have either a full or abbreviated emergency preparedness kit. (i.e. food, water, change of clothes) at work and in your vehicles.
make sure the members of your household are aware of each kit, its contents, and its location. In the event of an emergency, its essential to make sure everyone, even the children, are prepared.
So, you ask me if I have a kit together and honestly..."Yes and no!" As a mom of three kids and a dog, you would think I really did have something more put together. However, I'm just not a planner, my husband gets on me about this all the time. Anyway, I do have some of them together, but not all of them. And what is kind of sad about this, all of the above is stuff that I learned at work except for the you could use Clorox to make water.
How many of you have dogs, cats, birds or other animals? We have one dog and a fish and while I know they are a part of our family, I tend to forget. I know that is bad, huh? Well after this, I will definitly make sure they are part of it, because they are a part of our family and just like one of my kids. You must come back next week and read my post about how to create plan for your beloved pets because they are just as important.
Clorox would like to give one of my readers/followers a $25 Visa Gift Card so that you can get started on your Emergency Kit if you haven't already!
You must be a follower of my blog and say you are. Leave me your email address so I know how to reach you if you are the winner!
(please remember...this is not part of the Cloth Diaper OORAH Event I have going on currently!)
- Like Clorox on Facebook (comment here w/your Facebook Name)
- Like Coupon Mommy of 3 on Facebook (come check out my flash giveaways on Saturday at 2PM EST) comment that you did
- Tell me what you would do with this $25
- Just because I am curious, did you know the trick about the Clorox to disinfect water?
This giveaway ends Friday, September 24th at 1159PM EST, so hurry and get your entries in for a $25 Visa Gift Card to use at your will. Good Luck! And lets pass the word on.
I was compensated for my time by The Clorox Company for participating in this project. All prizes and giveaways were provided by Clorox at no cost to me. All views are my own.
As a blog tour participant, I received information and giveaways from The Clorox Company and Consumer Queen at no cost to me. I was compensated for my time by The Clorox Company for participating in this project. All views are my own.